June 18, 2008

Just Do It

"See to it that you do all I command you, do not add to it or take away from it." Deuteronomy 12:32

Lord, what will you have me to do today? What does my future hold?

As leaders we are always plotting and scheming, seeking and planning, all in an effort to set up what will be our next great move. When we do this we must use caution--planning for tomorrow can be both good and bad. Often I am asked by people what I think about where they are, what they are doing and if I think they are in God's will for their lives. My first response back to them is "What do you think?". Then I proceed with an answer that I feel God wants all leaders to know and understand.

First is obedience! Plain and simple, God expects us to be obedient to Him, His calling, His Word and His direction for our lives. We don't have to attend seminary, fast and pray in sack cloth and ashes, or seek Christian counseling to understand that obedience to God is far greater than any sacrificial plan we could ever dream up. He tells us so in 1 Samuel chapter 15 and verse 22.

Second is "seeking first His kingdom" and His direction for your life. Are you asking God what He would have you do? If so, then His Word teaches us that He will tell us what He wants from us. When He tells you, you must go back to the first step and be obedient! Do it! Just Do It!! Don't look for something else more glamorous to do and just pass off what He told you to someone else for them to do. And don't start seeking the next thing until He tells you or moves you. You see, His Word to us is...

"...do all I command you...don't add to or take away from..." If you will do this my friend, you will always find yourself right smack in the middle of God's will for your life. And in doing so you will find joy and fulfillment like you have never known!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are our own worst enemy in the effort to understand God's will for our lives. A life wholly dedicated to God will manifest itself through time spent in prayer and the bible. Everything else profitable to our lives would be born out of that relationship to our Lord. Unfortunately, because we don't develop the relationship with Him, our ministry burns out, our decisions become emotional, our efforts are in vain resulting in a life spent looking back thinking, "if only...", "oops, dropped the ball there...", "what was I thinking?", or even worse: "God where were you?". Most of the problems in my life are of my own making. Of course looking back I see where I jumped to conclusions and decided what God's will for my life was and then ran with it and I seriously mean over and over and over. I spent alot of time congratulating myself that God worked out things for my good (or translated: the way I wanted Him to, and then lamenting later on why He had not stopped me) when He really stepped back and let me go. He had to because I gave Him no other choice than to let me learn the hard way. If only I had spent that time instead cultivating the relationship that God wants to have with me, how blessed I would be. I feel sure I would not constantly be trying to figure out what God wants from me if I REALLY knew Him the way He desires that his children would. I am reasonably sure that I would have still suffered trials and hardships in my life but my heart would know real love and real peace that I could share with others...not just the "when I feel like it" or "when I am in a good mood" or "when I have the time."

Sorry for rambling on and on...bless you Brother Carl. I appreciate all that you do in our church body and that you live that example: "Just Do It".